Sunday 15 April 2007

Beinn Narnain & Beinn Ime

Munro Count:
11+12

Accompanyment:
Solo (me & my iPod)

Munro Stats:

Heights
Beinn Narnain 3038 ft "Hill of the notches"
Beinn Ime 3317 ft "Hill of butter"

Difficulty
Beinn Narnain 6/10
Beinn Ime 4/10

Enjoyment
Beinn Narnain 7/10 (for the climb)
Beinn Ime 7/10 (for the views at the top)

Route:
Parked in Succoth car park (£1/day) across the loch from Arochar. I walked sans OS map for the whole day without much problem. (Click here for Munro Magic route)



However I followed the newish path (to take some of the load off the mountain) which, although very hairpin-like as it zig-zagged through the forest - got me to a white post and a junction - where views of The Cobbler (left) and Bein Narnain (right) sprung up infront of me.



At this point you could head for the Cobbler (left) or turn right and traverse around Beinn Narnain (for 15 minutes or so with no further ascent but with good views of Loch Long) to the main path (unmissable) up Beinn Narnain. I did the latter after asking a random where the better path up Narnain was!



Once on the proper path it was a nicely challenging route up to the top.



Several false summits pushed me forward before a nice steep climb ended the first Munro of the day.





I had my lunch up top then descended over the other side, with the Cobbler to the left and Beinn Ime to the right. Climbed the fence then headed up the beginnings of a path up Beinn Ime. This path was pretty terrible. Very damp underfoot and lost the path altogether several times until 2/3 of the way up - where it is obvious.




It was a much slower climb because of this - but the views were well worth it. There was a wind shelter at the top and it was a spectacular view of Vane, Loch Lomond & the aforementioned Cobbler & Narnain. The sun also decided to pop out at that point which was an added bonus and the cause of my sunburn later that evening!



Headed back down following my own little path!.. as the hillside was nice and soft away from the direct route I had taken up. Headed then between Narnain & the Cobbler (unmissable path) and considered climbing the Cobbler again - but decided against it as I was pretty knackered at that point.



Met up with the tourist path had deviated away from at the white post - which took me back to the car park.



Hints
Find the elusive path I missed somewhere so you don't have to do the traverse. There was a road to cross 15 minutes into the start which I crossed over and turned left as I saw a sign up the hill that way. This was the "tourist path" to the Cobbler. If I has turned right at this point I have a feeling this would have led me to the main Beinn Narnain path. Let me know if I was right for others by adding a comment below!

Timing:
Time to climb Narnain from start (1 break): 2:10
Lunch then up Ime: 1:50
Break at top then back to car park: 2:00

Total time 6:00

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool web site, I hadn't come across macbagger.blogspot.com previously in my searches!
Continue the superb work!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be not working? Does anybody here at macbagger.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Thanks,
Alex